Wow! Tenth grade already. It’s hard to believe that time has flown so fast. I’m finding high school material fun to teach and full of possibilities, though—maybe because I’m learning so much myself!
Our print (not online) courses
This year, Emily will be taking:
- Algebra 2 (Videotext)
- Chemistry (Spectrum Science: We have a lab group again this year for science, so I anticipate this being a lot of fun. We’re also using Life of Fred Chemistry as a supplement. Emily is really enjoying this--she’s already finished 10 of the 36 lessons in less than 2 weeks.)
- American History (Sonlight 100 AND Dave Raymond American History: Yes, two complete programs. I know it sounds crazy, but we’ll be skipping the portfolio assignments and a couple of the projects from Dave Raymond and stretching our US history course out to 1 1/2 to 2 years).
- English (Illuminating Literature: When Worlds Collide and The Power in Your Hands, both by Sharon Watson and selections from Lightning Literature American History. We’ll also finish up Greek Morphemes Lessons from last year.) Again, some of this will likely stretch into next year since we’re using more than one program.
- Psychology (online class with Landry Academy, fall semester)
- Criminology (online class with Landry Academy, spring semester)
- Spanish 2 I had planned to used Destinos, but we have a review opportunity for Middlebury Languages again this fall instead, so she is starting on their Spanish 2 program. We may just do a half credit’s worth of Spanish if Emily’s schedule is too heavy with other subjects.
- PE (half credit)
- SAT, ACT Test Prep
It’s going to be another busy year, but since several subjects require a lot of reading, which is Emily’s favorite thing to do, I think it will be a successful and enjoyable year.